Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Prayer Power




“You really should stop dealing drugs now that you have become a Christian,” said prisoner Graham to one of his fellow inmates who is currently serving a life sentence. Graham, is one of many prisoners in England serving life sentences for murder who have recently been saved in jail.

“Never!” answered the newly-saved prisoner. “How can I earn money here in prison otherwise?”

That day, Graham not only prayed for his fellow inmate, but just before lights out he knocked on the wall and called to his neighbor to tell him he was praying for him.

The next morning, Graham was called into the prison director's office. He saw a pile of plastic bags on the table, full of white powder. “I have nothing to do with these drugs!” he said.

“Yes, we know,” answered the guard. “The prisoner in the cell next to yours called us this morning. He told us you prayed for him last night. He could not sleep at all and saw a white figure standing at the end of his bed all night. This morning, he called us, gave us the drugs and asked to be taken to a rehabilitation center. We thought that would interest you.”
--John Campbell


“My rice harvest will be so poor! All the villagers will make fun of me!” The new Christian, an ex-Hindu, tearfully sought the help of Ravikumar Kurapati, an Indian missionary who had started a new church in his village.

“Let's see what the Word of God says about prayer,” said Kurapati.
The missionary later recounts what happened. “After we prayed together, we decided to pray for his crop. The next day, I went with him to his field, watched by almost the entire village. I took a bucket of fresh water, and prayed. I then asked him to take the water and throw it over his crop. When harvest time came, he was amazed: He collected an incredible 30 sacks of rice from his narrow strip of land. It not only provided this man with income, but it opened the other villagers' eyes to see that Jesus Christ is the true God.”
--Gospel for Asia

Say a Prayer

I was taking my usual morning walk when a garbage truck pulled up beside me. I thought the driver was going to ask for directions. Instead, he showed me a picture of a cute little five-year-old boy. “This is my grandson, Jeremiah,” he said. “He's on a life-support system at a Phoenix hospital.” Thinking he would next ask for a contribution for his hospital bills, I reached for my wallet. But he wanted something more than money. He said, “I'm asking everyone I can to say a prayer for him. Would you say one for him, please?” I did. And my problems didn't seem like much that day.
--Bob Westenberg, “Chicken Soup for the Surviving Soul”


I Said a Prayer for You Today

I said a prayer for you today
And know God must have heard--
I felt the answer in my heart
Although He spoke no word.
I didn't ask for wealth or fame
(I knew you wouldn't mind)--
I asked Him to send treasures
Of a far more lasting kind!
I asked that He'd be near you
At the start of each new day,
To grant you health and blessings
And friends to share your way.
I asked for happiness for you
In all things great and small--
But it was for His loving care
I prayed the most of all!
--Author unknown